Our parishes returned to their regular weekend schedule on Corpus Christi Sunday (June 14, 2020). There are several things that you should be aware of if you are planning to attend …
First, Saturday evening Mass is taking place at St. Vincent de Paul in Dewitt’s Corners at 5:00 PM. Sunday Masses are taking place at Sacred Heart (Lanark) at 9:00 AM and St. Bridget (Stanleyville) at 11:00 AM.
When you arrive, we are asking that you be attentive to the ushers who will assist you to find a seat (there will be no one in the row in front or behind you) and hand sanitizer will be available for your use. There will also be no hymn books, handouts or bulletins. If you are bringing your own Missal, take it home with you after Mass. Do not leave it in the pews. Even the fans have been realigned to prevent dispersing air over the seating areas.
Mass may seem somewhat more contemplative as we invite you to pray through the liturgy, keeping any responses or community responses to a low voice and minimizing joining in the singing. Our music teams have made significant changes as well, for example, at St. Bridget they have located themselves to the very back of the balcony area, well away from the front edge, and are spaced well apart (about four metres apart.) We are blessed that they continue to enhance the prayerfulness and beauty of our liturgies while keeping a serious eye towards safety.
For the reception of Holy Communion, we are trusting in your good judgement to maintain a proper, respectful distance from each other as you come to receive, forming one line. Please remove any masks or gloves before approaching the Priest. Because our aisles are not wide it is not easy for us to safely place ushers in the aisles during the reception of Holy Communion. We appreciate your cooperation.
Just a reminder that we are still under the official dispensation and you are not obligated, nor should you feel pressured, to receive Holy Communion.
After the service we are asking everyone to leave the church as quickly as possible. If you wish to visit, consider doing so outside in the parking areas and not near the doors to the church. There is considerable cleaning and sanitizing to be completed at the end of every celebration.
Finally, you should note that we have NOT returned to our regular daily schedule for Masses and Adoration during the week. We will restart our times of coming together when it can be done safely and make announcements when that happens.
Thank you for choosing to worship at our parishes. This is a time of constant adjustment for everyone and not everyone will be happy with every detail that has to be adapted in order to keep our people, our servers, musicians, sacristans, Deacon or Priest safe and still maintain a prayer-filled experience. If you have any questions or concerns please speak directly to Fr. Jan either after the Mass, by phone or email.
UPDATE on Sunday, July 12, 2020
As we adjust to the requirement to wear masks while indoors we are taking a few steps immediately.
- We will be curtailing our sung music ministry temporarily.
- We have limited some of the pews that are available in the nave.
- We will be asking one person to proclaim ALL of the readings. At St. Bridget, this will be done by Deacon Brent McLaren.
- People who are reading or speaking (in the sanctuary) are not expected to wear a mask.
- We will be asking you to limit your responses during Mass, respecting that the mask be a concern for people when they speak.
- Please remove your mask (and any gloves) as you come forward to receive Holy Communion.
UPDATE on Sunday, July 19, 2020
- As Ontario enters into Stage 3 we are awaiting information related to the wearing of masks (and other provisions) while in church. Please come to Mass prepared with a mask which you should wear as required.
- We will continue our practice of limiting readers during the liturgy.
- We are making plans to resume our sung music ministry. The balcony area at St. Bridget is to be considered a private area for the use of our musicians. (They will continue to stand at the back of the balcony and spaced 3-4 metres apart.) No members of the congregation are permitted in the church balcony.